Binary / File Extensions / Privacy
Questions 1 - 8 are worth 6 points each. Question 9 is worth 10 points. Question 10 is worth 20 points. Questions 11 is worth 20 points.
1. (a) A bit can represent a decimal number between 0 and _____
(b) A byte can represent a decimal number between 0 and _____
2. (a) How many bits in one byte? _____
(b) How many bits in eight bytes? _____
3. Convert these decimal numbers to binary numbers. Use the Windows calculator in programmer mode or search for a binary converter online.
4. Convert these binary bytes to a decimal.
(a) 1011001 = ______ 1100101 = ______ 1110011 = ______
(b) Using an ASCII chart, what do these three letters spell? ______
5. Assuming an MP3 song is 5 megabytes in size, how many songs could you fit on a 200 GB solid state drive?
6. How many 1 GB video files can you fit on a 1 TB hard drive?
7. Your phone has 12 GB of available memory. How many 700 MB movies can you download to it?
8. How many megapixels are the
pictures from these
cameras? (Round to the nearest megapixel)
(a) The iPhone 12 takes pictures that are 4032 x 3024 pixels.
(b) The Canon EOS 4000D Digital camera pictures are 5184 x 3456
9. Identify the operating system (OS) that comes with each of these devices. You do not need to state the version of the OS. You may need to look these up on Google.
(a) What OS comes on an iPhone or iPad?
(b) What OS comes on a Samsung Galaxy Phone?
(c) What OS comes on a Dell XPS laptop?
(d) What OS comes on an Apple MacBook?
(e) What OS comes on a Chromebook?
10. Files have an extension (for example .jpg) that tell what type they are. Answer the questions below using the File Explorer screen print. You may need to look the file extensions up on Google.
|(a) How are the files sorted
(name, date modified, or size)?
(b) Which item is a folder?
(c) What is the name of the largest file?
(d) Which file extension is a program?
(e) Which file extensions are images?
(f) Which file extensions are audio?
(g) Which file extensions are videos?
(h) Which file extensions are Word documents?
(i) Which file extensions are Excel spreadsheets?
(j) Which file extensions are PowerPoint presentations?
11. Below are links 4 videos to watch. Answer the questions according what is said in the videos.
(a) What are the two biggest cloud providers?
(b) What service generates 56% of Amazon's income?
Is Google a monopoly?
(c) What is the definition of a monopoly
according to the video?
(d) What company controlled 90% of U.S. oil production in 1880?
(e) What percent of smartphones worldwide run Andoid?
(f) What did the EU order Google do with its Android apps?
into the "cloud"
(g) 70% of worldwide web traffic goes through what county in Virginia?
(h) How much money did AWS make in the year the video was made?
The fight over the Internet, under the sea
(i) What do you call Internet cables under
(j) What 4 companies own or lease more than half of the global undersea bandwidth?